st: RE: RE: macro expansion

From   "Marino, Jennifer" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: macro expansion
Date   Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:55:58 -0800

'set trace' should read 'set trace on'. Sorry.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Marino,
Jennifer
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 1:29 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: macro expansion

It's been pointed out here before, and I've found it helpful, that you
can trace how your macro is evaluating by running

set trace
set tracedepth1

and Stata will give you the translations it's using. I've found that use
of certain kinds of characters in macros immediately gets me into
trouble because Stata reads the character as a stop rather than as a
character. If Stata reads "\" as a stop, then it would store the file
nakedly in the C drive without swapping in the rest of the macro.

I'm not sure how to overcome this, but I am certain Professor Cox has an
idea.

Jen Marino