Re: st: IV with oprobit / mprobit?

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: IV with oprobit / mprobit?
Date   Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:24:48 -0600

I am used to think about estimation procedures in terms of estimating
equations. The estimating equations for -ivprobit- are

(*) sum_i the score from probit in i-th observation times an
instrument in i-th observation = 0

which is plug-in / empirical analogue estimator of the familiar
population identity

(**) E[ epsilon * Z ] = 0.

where epsilon is the unobserved residual in the index function
formulation of the probit. You square those estimating equations, add
them up, and get a GMM objective function. You minimize it and get
your estimates. Basically the estimator implied by (*) uses
information whether epsilon is greater or smaller than zero, and that
is some sort of a monotone relation; I am not sure how this
generalizes to ordered probit where you don't have that monotonicty,
but have multiple pieces of information instead.

As with all extremum/M-estimators, the variance generally has the
sandwich form that you are seeking. Not that it corrects for
heteroskedasticity or anything, it is just the only appropriate
estimator, although probably you can implement it in a number of
different ways that would be asymptotically equivalent.

I'd say you need to think in terms of estimating equations rather than
replicating what linear regression does with prediction of the fitted
values (which is a nice by-product of the linear model assumptions,
but that's all to it, it is not generalizable to non-linear models).
If you can figure out an anlaogue of (*) for oprobit, then you can try
to code it. You can probably tweak -ml- to do both minimization of the
sums of squares and sandwich matrix estimation for you.

Of course if you can show me that your procedure gives reasonable
estimating equations that are at least asymptotically unbiased, then I
will be OK with the point estimates. If additionally you show that
your correction is equivalent to the sandwich estimator, then I will
go and kill myself as I don't understand anything in generalized
linear models and instrumental variable estimation :))

Stas Kolenikov
http://stas.kolenikov.name