st: RE: differentiating missing values in codebook

From   "Marino, Jennifer" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: differentiating missing values in codebook
Date   Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:18:04 -0800

Graham-
If you are using Stata 7, 8, or 9, you can categorize missings very
easily. Stata has 27 values for missing - ., .a, .b,...through .z, and
they can be assigned using the -mvencode- command. If you do this first,
and then run the tables with the 'missing' option, you should see
everything you want. There's a great deal of information in the
helpfiles under 'missing' - I know it generates a lot of hits when you
ask it, but if you just select 'missing' from the hits it gives you a
quick rundown that answers this question in clear detail.

Plus, the command - codebook - will give you condensed information about
variables, in bulk or for one specific variable in the data. I'm not
clear on what you want in terms of weighting, but Stata will even tell
you patterns in the missing values for the whole dataset using the
command/option combination - codebook,mv - so you might look at that.

Good luck.
Jen Marino