st: differentiating missing values in codebook

From   Graham Wright <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: differentiating missing values in codebook
Date   Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:02:07 -0500

I'm trying to use stata to produce a weighted codebook of a large dataset. Just a lot of one way tabs in survey mode. However, I'm having trouble getting the missing values to work the way I would like.
The data was originally coded in SPSS, and missing values were expressed as large negative numbers (-999 etc) and given different labels depending on why the data is missing ("Refused," "Question not asked" etc). Naturally, when I run frequency commands in SPSS I get relative frequencies for the valid data only, but I get to see the missing values too. However, since we're using a complex sample design, I need to use stata to get the correct confidence intervals, but as far as I can tell, the only value that stata will accept as missing is a period, anything else gets included in the analysis, so I can't differentiate between different kinds of missing values, like I can in SPSS. Is there a way to get an SPSS style output (valid, missing & valid percent, total percent) in Stata? My hunch is that you simply can't do this in Stata but maybe someone knows a way.
-Graham Wright
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/