Re: st: poisson

Subject   Re: st: poisson
Date   Wed, 8 Mar 2006 11:24:11 -0500

"robust specifies that the Huber/White/sandwich estimator of variance
be used in place of the traditional calculation; see [U] 20.14
Obtaining robust variance estimates"
 which is not the same as estimating a negative binomial model, where
the variance and mean of Y conditional on X are not given by the same
functional form (unlike poisson models).  That said, poisson models
have the very nice feature of being consistent under *very* weak
assumptions.

On the other hand, the fixed-effects poisson you have estimated
suffers from the incidental parameters problem--you might try:
 . xi:i.year
 . xtpoisson depvar indepvar _Iyear*,  fe i(id) cluster(id) robust
 . xtpoisson depvar indepvar _Iyear*,  fe i(id)
 . xtnbreg depvar indepvar _Iyear*,  fe i(id)
and maybe you can calculate deviance statistics by hand to measure
goodness-of-fit, though I'm not sure about that part. If someone else
on the list has an idea on how to generalize the techniques (mentioned
at -help poisson postestimation-), please chime in.