st: Re: tsappend with unbalanced panels

From   Peter Willem� <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: tsappend with unbalanced panels
Date   Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:01:35 +0100

Dear David,
-tsappend- seems to work fine. I ran the procedure again, and it took two to three hours to complete it. So, for large datasets (50000 observations, 15000 units and 200 variables), patience is required. Thanks again.
Best,
Peter

David M. Drukker wrote:

Dear Peter,

I am glad to here that -tsappend- is working well on a subset of your dataset.

It is possible that -tsappend- will take long time on a large dataset. -tsappend- is ado-code and with unbalanced data, it needs to loop through each panel in your dataset, which might take a while.

I believe that Stata is not hanging, it's just taking a while to do the task that you gave it.

By the way, if you also believe that Stata is not `hanging', but just taking a long time, it would be a good idea if you were to report this fact to statalist. Some people might be concerned by your original post.

Best,
David