Re:st: question about svy commands

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re:st: question about svy commands
Date   Tue, 07 Mar 2006 11:13:33 +0000

-egen- always follows a syntax

egen newvar = fcn() ...

and I am not aware of a -egen- function -svymean()-.

The FAQ

"I want to calculate a variable containing weighted group summary statistics, but I do not want to collapse the data and egen does not support weights. How can I do this?"

at http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/weighted.html
should help.

>>> Anant Thaker

[I am] a Stata SE/8 user. I have survey data that is organized at
the individual level, roughly like this:

Var1 Var2 State Weight
1.
2.
3.

I want to create a new variable, Var4, that has the mean of Var1 for whatever state the individual is in. For example, if the first observation is in New York, I want the new variable to have a Var4 that has the mean value of Var1 for NY. However, I need to incorporate the weights, so I was wondering if I should use the survey commands? Is there a way to do this? Is it something along the lines of

egen var4 = svymean var1 [if var1==...

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/