Re: st: RE: areg/xtreg

From   Terra Curtis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: areg/xtreg
Date   Mon, 06 Mar 2006 15:52:56 -0500

Yes, I did try that. I took the constant into account by subtracting from the dependent variable average. So, I had three ratios:
(1) [coef1*indvar1(avg) ] / (depvar(avg)-const)
(2) [coef2*indvar2(avg) ] / (depvar(avg)-const)
(3) [coef3*indvar3(avg) ] / (depvar(avg)-const)

It is my understanding that these three ratios should add to 1. However, the calculation of coefficients times means plus constant (as you have specified as x1 below) does not produce a value which is equal to the mean of my dependent variable.

Scott Merryman wrote:

Did you add in the constant?

. webuse grunfeld,clear

. qui areg invest kstock mvalue, ab(com)

. qui sum kstock

. local ks = r(mean)

. qui sum mvalu

. local mv = r(mean)

. qui sum invest

. local x1 = (_b[kstock]*`ks' + _b[mvalue]*`mv' + _b[_cons])/r(mean)

. disp "`x1'"
.999999999999999

Scott