Re: st: Are you a Bayesians?

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Are you a Bayesians?
Date   Sun, 5 Mar 2006 12:58:31 -0800 (PST)

I am not a practicing bayesian when it comes to my research, but I've
always wondered why it is made difficult to input bayesian priors.  This
seems like one of those cases where for once the gui interface is actually
useful.

Why not allow a user to use their mouse to graph the prior.  The person
would type in upper and lower bounds (which could be negative and/or
positive infinity, or something lesser than those extremes).  Then, they
could use the mouse to sketch the prior distribution in a window on the
screen, where the window invokes those upper and lower bounds.  Then, some
mathematical engine would take over, and output posterior distributions,
hopefully with some standard errors.  One could then easily allow the
researcher to 1)input priors for several coefficients; 2)play around with
changing the prior to see whether it matters--this would require allowing
the researcher to save the actual distribution they used, for possible
later publication and possible later editing; and 3)produce random
perturbations in the researcher's prior, or even produce a randomly
generated prior, again to check robustness.  Although this next idea is a
bit dangerous, and may turn the approach into a cookie cutter idea, one
could allow the researcher to set upper and lower bounds, and then have
the machine generate a prior.  Or, one could allow the researcher to input
parameter estimates from dozens of other studies, and generate a prior
distribution on that basis.

In sum, it would seem to me that if the idea of bayesian analyses is that
a prior distribution pertains to the parameter and reflects our current
knowledge, why not use the GUI to allow people to directly draw their
prior distribution?  I believe once people become exposed to bayesian
thinking, thinking in terms of distributions is easy.  The hard part is
getting that distributional information into the analysis.  The GUI
interface would seem to greatly simplify that process.

Is this a bonehead idea?  Am I missing something crucial?  Comments
appreciated.

Take care.
Sam