st: RE: counting number of children in a household

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: counting number of children in a household
Date   Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:44:31 -0800 (PST)

Zamira,

Please don't be discouraged by the feedback to your message. Sharing
your code with other Stata users is a good way to become more
proficient in Stata. Your message stimulated an interesting
discussion and I am sure no one intended any malice.

That said, in addition to the criticism provided by other list
members I would like to mention that there is a fundamental problem
with your "relationship" variable. Take the household below, with one
male and three female members. A couple has one daughter who is 16
years old. This daughter in turn has a child who is 2 year old. The
16-year-old girl is therefore both a mother and a child, in the legal
and biological sense. The "relationship" variable with its simple
"father", "mother", "child" structure fails in this case. The
situation would be further complicated if one or more of the couple's
parents also lived in the household.

hhid  lineno  age  sex
1     1       42   1
1     2       40   2