Re: st: Excel ODBC Driver for Mac

From   Jayson Whitehorn <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Excel ODBC Driver for Mac
Date   Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:06:21 -0600

Let me preface by saying that I've never used ODBC in Stata:

Nevertheless, hopefully I can provide some assistance.

I recommend reading the following links, as well as attempting to utilize OS X's native ODBC application. Assuming you are running OS X >= 10.2, X's ODBC administration utility can be found in / Applications/Utilities/ODBC Administrator.

A clunky work around, if you don't understand the ins and outs of ODBC, would be to save your Excel 2004 Workbook locally in .xml format and -xmluse- each worksheet you want to port into Stata. You may find this cumbersome as you'll find yourself needing to do this each time your DataBase changes, but you could probably program an AppleScript, Automator script, or VisualBasic Macro within Excel to do this for you and then call up a .do file to make the desired revisions to your Stata .dta file.

I recommend the following links for more information about ODBC using OS X, Excel, and Stata:

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/odbcmu.html
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/faq/odbc.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/excel2004/using.aspx? pid=usingexcel2004&type=howto&article=/mac/LIBRARY/how_to_articles/ office2004/xl_ODBC.xml
http://www.openlinksw.com