Re: st: Robust se, t statistics with panel data

Subject   Re: st: Robust se, t statistics with panel data
Date   Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:06:49 -0500

Perhaps I should ignore this question in the same way you have ignored
the advice in the Statalist FAQ on how to write a well-formed question
(in particular, you give no indication what command you used or what
error message you got, much less show us the output), but you should
certainly read:
      -help xtreg- -help xtdata- and -help areg-
for starters.  Note also that you may want to cluster on id, assuming
your fixed effects are individual id and year effects, to allow for
arbitrary serial correlation within panel, and -cluster- implies
-robust-. But see the various FAQs on the subject, and such advice as
appears in the relevant help files, e.g.
  Note: Exercise caution when using the cluster() option with areg.
        The effective number of degrees of freedom for the robust variance
        estimator is (n_g - 1), where n_g is the number of clusters.  Thus
        the number of levels of the absorb() variable should not exceed the
        number of clusters.