Re: st: mlogit model

From   "Clive Nicholas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mlogit model
Date   Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:49:55 -0000 (GMT)

Andre Paul wrote:

> The random utility model underlying the multinomial logit model considers
> the case of one agent having to choose between, say J alternatives.
>
> I have a dataset which gives me the outcome of credit applications by
> firms:
> granted or refused by the bank or withdrawn by the firm.
> Is there any theoretical problem to apply a multinomial logit estimation
> these data, given the fact that there are 2 agents taking decisions: the
> bank (which refuses or grants the loan) and the firm (which can withdraw
> the
> application before the decision is taken)?

It's just a stab in the dark, but would a nested logit (-nlogit-) model be
more sutiable here, where the "firm" outcome is nested within the "bank"
outcome? Just a thought.

CLIVE NICHOLAS        |t: 0(044)7903 397793
Politics              |e: [email protected]
Newcastle University  |http://www.ncl.ac.uk/geps

Whereever you go and whatever you do, just remember this. No matter how
many like you, admire you, love you or adore you, the number of people
turning up to your funeral will be largely determined by local weather
conditions.