st: Weighted Tables

From   David Lublin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Weighted Tables
Date   Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:32:21 -0500

Hello,

I am using a dataset (the European Social Survey) where it is important to
weight the data appropriately in order to get the correct results.  This
dataset includes a weight which is the "normed inverse of the inclusion
probabilities" according to the codebook.  This weight is labelled
"dweight" (though it appears to be of the pweight type as STATA defines
weight types.)

In using STATA,  when I type the following:

. tab prtvtch lnghoma [pw=dweight]
pweight not allowed
r(101);

pweight is not allowed.  By the way, the variables in this example are:
prtvtch (party voted for in Switzerland); and lnghoma (language spoken at
home).  Again, "dweight" is the variable name of the weight I would like
to use.

Is there a way to get STATA to do the equivalent of the pweight command
for simple descriptive crosstabs so the results come out weighted
correctly?

Many thanks for any help.

Best,
David