st: sureg doesn't work according to help file?

From   "Paley, Irina" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: sureg doesn't work according to help file?
Date   Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:40:09 -0500

Dear Statalist,

I am wondering if anyone has encountered and solved the following problem.

I want to estimate several equations together and then test coefficients being equal within and across equations

Stata help tells me to do this (stylized example):

1) name equations
global workhours_male (workhours_male wage_male ed_male wage_fem ed_fem)
global workhours_female (workhours_fem wage_male ed_male wage_fem ed_fem)

2) run the system
sureg  $workhours_male $workhours_female

3) test
test [workhours_male]wage_male=[workhours]wage_fem

However, when I do this stata tells me:
equation [workhours_male] not found

How should I reference it to get results?

thanks so much for any help you can provide!

irina