st: RE: Saveold option

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Saveold option
Date   Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:43:47 -0000

I think you'll find that, under Stata 9, the -asveold- option  creates
Stata 8 datasets, not Stata 7 datasets as required by your colleague.
That is probably why your colleague's Stata 7 is confused.

If you have access to StatTransfer, then that can be used to convert
Stata 9 datasets to Version 7. You can find out more about StatTransfer
at
http://www.stattransfer.com/

 However, if you don't have StatTransfer, then one possible fix migth be
to use -outsheet- and -insheet- together with the -descsave- package,
downloadable from SSC. -descsave- is a Stata program that writes Stata
programs. It can write a do-file to reconstruct the types, formats,
variable labels, value labels and characteristics of a list of
variables. This do-file should work under Stata 7, 6 or 5.

For instance, if you type in Stata 9

                . sysuse auto, clear
                . rename displacement displ
                . rename gear_ratio gratio
                . descsave, do(auto.do, replace)
                . outsheet using auto.txt, nolabel replace

then you should create a generic text spreadsheet -auto.txt-, containing
the names and values of the variables of the auto data, and a do-file
-auto.do-, which can reconstruct their types, formats, value labels and
variable labels. If you transfer -auto.txt- and -auto.do- to a folder on
your colleague's machine, and then type in Stata 7, 6 or 5

                . insheet using auto.txt, clear
                . run auto.do
                . describe

then you should find that you have created a Stata 6 dataset in memory
similar to your old Stata 9 dataset. The precision of the transfer
process will probably not be as good as with StatTransfer, but will
probably be good enough for most people most of the time.

I hope this helps.

Roger

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
POSTAL ADDRESS:
National Heart and Lung Institute at Imperial College London
St Mary's Campus
Norfolk Place
London W2 1PG
STREET ADDRESS:
National Heart and Lung Institute at Imperial College London
47 Praed Street
Paddington
London W1 1NR
TELEPHONE: (+44) 020 7594 0939