Re: st: Learning LaTex

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Learning LaTex
Date   Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:38:52 +0800

On 2/15/06, Winfield Scott Burhans <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear listers,
>
> Can anyone suggest texts, websites, or other learning resources for LaTex
> that would be helpful in teaching myself to use LaTex?

I too have just started learning LaTex and in addition to some of the
resources others have already mentioned have found the following
Tutorial from the Indian Tex Users Group to be very useful...

http://www.tug.org.in/tutorials.html

On a side note (and this is in no way an attempt to detract from
Stata), part of my impetus for learning is that I am also learning R
to supplement my Stata knowledge as the department I have just moved
to tend to use R over Stata,

In addition I have been looking at ways of intergrating my analysis
with writing it up and making it reproducible and I came across a
package called Sweave which allows the integration of Latex and R code
(see here for manual and articles in RNwes
http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch/Sweave/ and a very good article on
reproducible research at
http://www.bepress.com/sagmb/vol4/iss1/art2/).

I'm not entierly sure, but I think the framework for Sweave could be
adapted to Stata, and may try working on this in the background (when
time permits).  The mark-up language is already supported in Emacs
Speaks Statistics as well.

HTH's

Neil
--