Re: st: Lag Variable in Panel Data

From   Reka Sundaram-Stukel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Lag Variable in Panel Data
Date   Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:03:55 -0600

Dear Abhijit,

bysort cid (tid): g variablet_1=variable[_n-1]

hope this helps.

Reka

On Feb 15, 2006, at 12:35 PM, Abhijit Sen Gupta wrote:

Hi!
  Could anybody please tell me how to generate lagged
values of a variable in panel data. My panel id is cid
and time id is tid.
Thanks
Cheers
Abhijit

--- Richard Williams <[email protected]>
wrote:

Thanks to Kit Baum, yet another update to -gologit2-
is now available
from SSC - and unlike most previous updates, this
one actually offers
some added functionality and not just bug fixes!

* While gologit2 continues to work in Stata 8.2, if
you are using
Stata 9, the by, nestreg, stepwise, xi, and possibly
other prefix
commands are allowed.  That is, Stata 9 users get
added functionality
but everything else still works ok if you have 8.2.
(I'm not sure
how much longer I will try to keep new versions
running under 8.2 but
for now at least it was surprisingly easy to do.)

* If the user considers them more appropriate for
their data, probit,
complementary log-log, and log-log links can be used
instead of
logit. The link() function specifies the link
function to be
used.  The legal values are link(logit),
link(probit), link(cloglog)
and link(loglog) which can abbreviated as link(l),
link(p), link(c)
and link(ll). link(logit) is the default if the
option is omitted.

* The ancillary file gologit2.pdf contains many
examples and has been
updated to document the new features.  However,
ancillary files do
not automatically get updated when you update the
program.  Therefore
you may wish to download it directly from

http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/gologit2/gologit2.pdf

* For more info, there is a gologit2 general info
page at

http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/gologit2/index.html

and a troubleshooting FAQ at

http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/gologit2/tsfaq.html

Here is the overall description of the program:

gologit2 estimates generalized ordered logit models
for ordinal
dependent variables. A major strength of gologit2 is
that it can also
estimate three special cases of the generalized
model: the
proportional odds/parallel lines model, the partial
proportional odds
model, and the logistic regression model. Hence,
gologit2 can
estimate models that are less restrictive than the
proportional odds
/parallel lines models estimated by ologit (whose
assumptions are
often violated) but more parsimonious and
interpretable than those
estimated by a non-ordinal method, such as
multinomial logistic
regression (i.e. mlogit). Other key
strengths of gologit2 include options for linear
constraints,
alternative model parameterizations, automated model
fitting, survey
data (svy) estimation, alternative link functions
(logit, probit,
complementary log-log and log-log), and the
computation of estimated
probabilities via the predict command. gologit2
works under both
Stata 8.2 and Stata 9 or higher. Syntax is the same
for both
versions; but if you are using Stata 9 or higher,
gologit2 supports
several prefix commands, including by, nestreg,
xi and sw. gologit2 is inspired by Vincent Fu's
gologit program and
is backward compatible with it but offers several
additional powerful options.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX:    (574)288-4373
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]
WWW (personal):    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam
WWW (department):    http://www.nd.edu/~soc

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html

"Some people see things as they are and say why.
 I dream things that never were and say why not?"

Abhijit Sen Gupta
Graduate Student
University of California at Santa Cruz
Visit me : - http://econ.ucsc.edu/grads/abhijit