Re: st: RE: Learning LaTex

From   "Winfield Scott Burhans" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Learning LaTex
Date   Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:17:55 -0500 (EST)

Thanks very much for the several responses about information for learning
LaTex.  I appreciate each reponse, it looks like I have some good places
to get started.

Roger, my hope is to use LaTex for a report set that is currently
generated from a series of Stata *.do files which create *.csv files which
are then used as external data sources that automatically refresh multiple
data ranges in Excel, which then are used in both tables and graphics
generated from that data.  The Excel file is printed and then refreshed
with a new run of Stata.  Currently this involves invoking Stata, then the
Excel file, and then manually refreshing the Excel file after each run
through the Stata *.do files.  What drove me to Excel originally was that
I needed the graphics in the report I printed, and I couldn't figure out
an easy way to refresh the graphics in the report (this was created
several years ago).  I assume I can do this in LaTex.

Bill, I'll look at the Kopka and Daly text; I have some programming
ability, but I am not at all a facile or accomplished programmer.  It
sounds like that text, if I'm not overwhelmed, would be great.

Thanks again to all who responded, your suggestions were exactly what I
was looking for.

Buzz