st: data formatting question

From   Michael Horowitz <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: data formatting question
Date   Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:30:34 -0500 (EST)

To whom it may concern:

I have a dataset I was wondering if people might have a fix for.

My data measures various information (ethnicity especially) of
countries.  The way the data is currently set up it has multiple entries
per country per year depending on the background of the country.  This
means that if there are 2 ethnic groups in a country with significant
populations, there are 2 entries per year as follows (these numbers are
made up to illustrate the situation).  There can also be more than 2,
etc., and it can change depending on the population in a given year:

Country Number	year	ethnicity	ethnicpop
10		1930	Caucasion	1,000,000
10		1930	Hispanic	50,000
10		1931	Caucasion	1,000,100
10		1931	Hispanic	51,000
11		1931	Asia		10,000

I want to set up the data so there is only one entry per country per year,
as follows:

Country Number	year	ethnic1	   ethnic2   ethpop1    ethpop2
10		1930	Caucasian  Hispanic  1,000,000	50,000

Any ideas people have would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Michael Horowitz