RE: st: GDP variable in panel data

From   Julius Fr�d�ric Andr� <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: GDP variable in panel data
Date   Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:13:03 +0100

Austin, thanks for your quick reply. As to interacting the GDP variable, I
had thought of this option also, but believe that no sound reasoning can
support such modelling.

Regards,

J Andr�

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Austin Nichols
Sent: 11 February 2006 19:43
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: GDP variable in panel data

If you are wedded to fixed effects, you have no choice--you can't include
year dummies and any variable that varies only by year (not by company).
I'm inclined to think that's the way to go, but I have no idea what the
distribution of your dependent variable looks like (remember fixed effects
means that every company has the same slope for every variable, but differ
only in their constant terms, so you are sort of running OLS for each
company and constraining the coefficients to be identical across firms--if
your data or theory don't match this description, you should rethink your
strategy).  As for including the dGDP variable, you could interact it with
something that varies by company, if you have a theoretical reason that the
impact differs by some other trait of companies...