st: r(2000) sometimes, but the data are always the same

From   Pablo Mitnik <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: r(2000) sometimes, but the data are always the same
Date   Fri, 10 Feb 2006 03:46:26 -0600

Dear all,

I am running a 100-rep loop with the following code inside:

-------code begins----------------------------

ml model lf model6p_lf (alpha:mob_rate=) (beta:) (theta1:) (theta2:) (theta3:) (theta4:), technique (nr bfgs dfp bhhh) constraints(1)

ml check

ml search alpha 0 1 beta 0 70 theta1 0 1 theta2 0 1 theta3 0 1 theta4 0 1, repeat(30)

ml maximize, nolog

---------code ends--------------------------------

In most reps it works like a charm -- it converges in about 20-30 iterations. But once in a while I receive the following very annoying message:

"r(2000) no observations."

I found the following explanation in Stata help:

"You have requested some statistical calculation and there are
no observations on which to perform it. Perhaps you specified
if exp or in range and inadvertently filtered all the data."

However, given that I always use the same data, this explanation doesn't make a lot of sense. After all, I always use exactly the same data, and the error does not occur most of the time.

Any thoughts?

Pablo

--
Pablo A. Mitnik