Re: st: informative censoring

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: informative censoring
Date   Thu, 9 Feb 2006 19:20:40 +0000 (GMT)

Michael:
Informative censoring means that the fact that you are censored tells you something about the
hazard rate that you will experience the event you study. For instance if you study how long
elderly people live in a panel, and respondents choose not to participate in the panel ones they
get gravely ill, than the fact that they are censored tells you something about the hazard of
experience the event (die). If on the other hand people are censored because you decided to stop
collecting data after five years in the field, than the fact that they are censored is likely to
be unrelated to the probability of experiencing the event.

So deciding that censoring is informative or not is usually done using information outside the
data. It is very hard to draw such conclusions form the data itself, since in order to know
whether the censoring tells you something about the hazard you need to have data about your
respondents after they were censored, and if you had that than they wouldn't be censored...

HTH,
Maarten

--- Michael McCulloch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Are there methods in stata for assessing informative censoring, i.e.
> whether it is present, and how to estimate the survival function if
> informative censoring is present.

between 1/2/2006 and 31/3/2006 I will be
visiting the UCLA, during this time the
best way to reach me is by email

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam