RE: st: GMM diff vs sys

From   "Salvati, Jean" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: GMM diff vs sys
Date   Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:41:04 -0500

>>I have a panel dataset for a sample of 20 countries over 8 periods
>>I`ve  use GMM method to estimate a model of convergence like this
>>yit=b yit-1 + q xit + uit where xit are exogenous variables I could be
>>posible that difference GMM work better than sysyem GMM?

To go back to the original question, you need to define what you mean by "better". Are you concerned about efficiency, consistency, small-sample bias, ...?

In this respect, the only thing that the theory tells you is that, if all your orthogonality conditions are valid, then both estimators are consistent, and system-GMM is more efficient than first-difference GMM.

Now, if the orthogonality conditions for the first-difference equation are valid, but those for the level equation are not, then system GMM is not better than first-difference GMM in any way.

This can happen, for example, if the regressors used in the orthogonality conditions for the level equation are correlated with the individual effect. If the p-value for the J-stat is smaller with system GMM than with difference GMM, then that's probably what the problem is.

As far as I know, not much is known about the small sample-bias of the two estimators, and all the information that we have on this topic comes from Monte-Carlo simulations. The theory doesn't tell you anything in that area. Other listers may have more information about that.

Jean Salvati