st: RE: -Makematrix- and -ttest-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: -Makematrix- and -ttest-
Date   Thu, 9 Feb 2006 00:06:23 -0000

The help for -makematrix- tells you why, although
you must read it very closely.

The outline syntax for -makematrix- is

makematrix [matrix_name] ,
	from(results_list) [production_options] [list_options] :
	["]command["] [varlist] ... [, options ]

In particular, following the colon : a command must be specified together
with whatever elements from

[varlist] [if exp] [in range] [weight] [, options ]

are appropriate.

Now that last syntax is fairly general, and covers lots of
commands. However, the -ttest- command you are using is not
among them, given the equals sign that is part of the syntax.

In short, -makematrix- is not general enough to allow what
you want to do. It falls over given the = sign.

As I have indicated before, -makematrix- was a project that
led to a program I thought worth publishing, but it's still
a dead end.

For what you want to do, a more basic approach is simpler
and more flexible:

ttest y = x
mat a = r(p) \ r(t)
mat rownames a = p t