st: Data set with dyads

From   Shyam Kumar <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Data set with dyads
Date   Tue, 7 Feb 2006 07:58:47 -0800 (PST)

I have a data set comprising of members in dyads which
is structured as follows:

ID  Member-Income  Member-Age Member-Educ. Partner-Age
 Partner- Educ.

My interest lies in understanding how Member-Income is
influenced by both Member and Partner characteristics.

My first question is Stata related. I would like to
form a data set by randomly choosing one member from
each dyad. The ID variable tells me the dyad each
observation belongs to. This variable takes on values
11,12, 21, 22� 101,102�.2441, 2442 etc. Hence
observations with ID =101, 102 are two members
belonging to the 10th dyad. How do I form a data set
by randomly choosing one member from each dyad using
the ID variable?

My second question is more general. The reason I am
randomly choosing one member from each dyad is because
error terms are likely to be correlated. My plan is to
form two separate data sets and test my hypotheses in
both data sets separately and then compare the results
as a robustness check. Is there a better way to handle
dyads?

Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Shyam