Re: st: fweight and error code r(1400)

From   Ada Ma <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: fweight and error code r(1400)
Date   Tue, 7 Feb 2006 13:38:38 +0000

Hi Austin,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I'm going to do what you recommended,
i.e. pweight and read up on the svy manual.  I have read the pweight
description several times and I didn't quite understand it until
you've explained it.  Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,
Ada

On 2/6/06, Austin Nichols <[email protected]> wrote:
> You should be using
> . reg lnwage sex age agesq [pweight=calwght]
> if you have no other survey design info (otherwise see -help svy-).
> See -help weights- for the following: "pweights, or sampling weights,
> are weights that denote the inverse of the probability that the
> observation is included due to the sampling design," which implies
> that in the absence of any complex sample design, they represent the
> number of people in the group that a given obs was drawn from (i.e. if
> the probability is 1/N then the inverse of the probability is N).  You
> should certainly never use fweights or aweights with survey data
> unless you care not at all about getting correct standard errors, test
> statistics, etc.
>
> RTSM:
> You might also read the [SVY] manual before you spend too much time estimating.
>
> On 2/6/06, Ada Ma <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I'm estimating a mincer wage equation:
> > The data set I'm using comes with a population weight variable, so I estimate:
> > reg lnwage sex age agesq [fweight=calwght]

Ada Ma
Research Fellow
Health Economics Research Unit
University of Aberdeen, UK.