st: A Permutation Question

From   Raphael Fraser <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: A Permutation Question
Date   Mon, 6 Feb 2006 09:44:16 -0500

Dear All,

I have two samples:

s1  s2
20  18
30  60
40  61

I want to rearrange the labels with some restrictions using Stata. If
the labels were exchangeable and we want to test for a difference in
the two samples there would be 20 possible rearrangements or
permutations using say the sum of s1 as our test statistic. However,
If one wanted to restrict the first label to 20 or 18, the second to
30 or 60 and the third to 40 or 61 we now end up with 2^3=8 possible
rearrangements. Can Stata handle the latter situation? For example
here are three possible arrangements of the eight, under the
restrictions:
s1  s2
18  20
30  60