Re: st: test for time trend

From   Michael Hanson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: test for time trend
Date   Sat, 4 Feb 2006 19:38:40 -0500

On Feb 4, 2006, at 4:29 PM, Cornelia Schmidt wrote:

I know it is a basic question, but it would be great if you could help me.
I have a panel dataset for a sample of 50 countries over a period of 40 years.

How can I test if there is a time trend in the data and how can I correct for it?
Individual trends or common? Deterministic or stochastic? Linear or otherwise? You'll need to provide a bit more information to get an appropriate answer to your question. While you could simply dummy for years, that may be effectively throwing away useful information in the time domain (certainly year dummies won't help identify a time trend); with T = 40 as you have, you may want to consider an explicit model of the time-series process(es) contributing to your data generation process. Hope that helps.

-- Mike

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/