st: Re: merging on same using dataset

Subject   st: Re: merging on same using dataset
Date   Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:00:13 -0500

The key here I think is to use the -fillin- command to expand the master dataset and the use a single merge. You can flag the unchosen choices using the _fillin var. I showed how to change the _merge var based on this.

use master
fillin Indiv choice
sort choice
merge choice using usingdata
replace _merge=2 if _fillin==1

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Munro, Cameron" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 11:31 AM
Subject: st: merging on same using dataset

I'm building up a choice dataset where I need to read in the characteristics of the alternatives for each individual. A simplified example of what I want to happen:
Master data -
Indiv Choice
1 2
2 4
... ...

Using data -
Choice x1 x2 ...
1 10 12
2 14 13
3 17 18
4 43 13
5 12 15

Desired output -
Indiv Choice x1 x2 _merge
1 1 10 12 2
1 2 14 13 3
1 3 17 18 2
1 4 43 13 2
1 5 12 15 2
2 1 10 12 2
2 2 14 13 2
2 3 17 18 2
2 4 43 13 3
2 5 12 15 2

In effect, what I want to do is merge sequentially down each observation in the master dataset in turn. The only way I can achieve this at the moment is to create separate files for each obs and then append them together after running the merge on each separately. But this results in many files, and is slow. Is there a better way?

Cheers

Cameron.