st: Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:52:59 -0500

From   "daniel waxman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:52:59 -0500
Date   Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:53:23 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

One Stata question and one statistical question:

(1)  The Stata question

I have written a program which generates a table of odds ratios from many
bivariate logistic regression models.  I would like to add the p values
associated with the Hosmer Lemeshow chi2 statistic (as generated by

. estat gof, group(10)

to the table.  -estat- returns r(chi2) but not the p-value.  The stata
function 'chi2' returns a very different p-value than that returned by
-estat gof- Any ideas?

(2)  The statistical question:

The bivariate logistic models consist of one continuous dependent variable
of interest which is included in every model (var1, below) together with a
different (mostly dichotomous) variable (var2) for each model, i.e.:

.logistic death var1 var2

The point is to assess the change in the odds ratio associated with var1
with inclusion of var2.

Depending on var2, .estat gof, group(10) will generate less than 10
quantiles due to ties.

The question:  In reporting multiple p values for multiple gof tests, should
I accept whatever groupings Stata gives me and report the stats with
different df's for each one?  Or should I force the same # of groups for
each model?

Thank you.