From   "Alexander Nervedi" <alexnerdy@hotmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   RE: st: Re: coding
Date   Sat, 28 Jan 2006 02:24:19 +0000

thats a great solution. I now have to figure out. All i need to do is figure out how to get the formatting to show leading zeros!

thanks Michael

From: "Michael Blasnik" <michael.blasnik@verizon.net>
To: <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject: st: Re: coding
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:16:37 -0500

I'm not sure I understand, but if you want to create a single categorical variable for each case based on 8 years of data and you have a categorical variable that takes on one of three possible values (possibility=1,2,3) for each year (year= 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8), then you could::

gen score=possibility*10^(year-1)
collapse (sum) score, by(caseid)

This will give you an 8 digit number (score) for each caseid with each digit representing the value of possibility for each year. One advatage of this approach is that the resulting number can be directly interpreted. If you had more years than you might need to create the score variable as a double.

Michael Blasnik
michael.blasnik@verizon.net

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexander Nervedi" <alexnerdy@hotmail.com>