Re: st: Italicizing caption in Graphs

From   Ron�n Conroy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Italicizing caption in Graphs
Date   Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:11:27 +0000

On 26 Ean 2006, at 13:55, n j cox wrote:

On a different level, we could all throw our prejudices
on the matter into the ring. My own line as a scientist,
including roles as reader, author, reviewer/referee
and member of editorial boards, is that in science (broad
sense) graph designers should stick to one font throughout.
But then I cleave to the minimalist-Tufte-Shaker-Bauhaus school
of graph design.

There are valid reasons for having italics at your disposal. Traditionally they are used for foreign language words and phrases. These are common in biology, where many critters are referred to by their latin titles and these are, by convention, placed in italics. The names, of course, not the critters, who couldn't care less.

By the way, if it's minimalist, why has it such a long name?

Ron�n Conroy

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/