st: RE: Re: counting and eliminating data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: counting and eliminating data
Date   Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:09:48 -0000

Note that use of the -egen- function -nvals()-
depends on prior installation of the -egenmore-
package from SSC.

Michael Blasnik

> There are a couple of approaches you could take, but I think
> using egen
> nvals is the best bet.
>
> sort subarea
> by subarea: egen nyears=nvals(year)
> keep if nyears>=13
> sort subarea
> by subarea: egen firstfive=nvals(year) if year<=5
> by subarea: egen lastfive=nvals(year) if year>21
> * fill out missing values within subarea
> bysort subarea (firstfive): replace firstfive=firstfive[1]
> bysort subarea (lastfive): replace lastfive=lastfive[1]
> keep if firstfive>=2 & lastfive>=2
> drop nyears firstfive lastfive

Jennifer Devine