st: The number of variables is limited by Stata: tradeoff between larger database and smaller one?

From   Jia Xiangping <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: The number of variables is limited by Stata: tradeoff between larger database and smaller one?
Date   Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:28:05 +0800

Dear colleagues,

The database I'm doing is based on the questionnaires which have more
than 10,000 variables. Because the version I'm using is Intercooled
Stata 8, so I have to divide it into several sub-database in terms of
topics concerned. At the beginning, I really enjoyed this style
because it's convenient for me to process data with similar topic.
However, problems come out when I further the data analysis. I have to
merge the variables from one database to others, and sometime it's
dirty and insecure.

Hereinafter there are two options I can envision (may be there are
some other alternatives which I don't know):

1. Establish a mother-database with all variables in it, and then
-keep- the sections concerned.

2. Still having the sub-database and merge those you are interested in.

If the advantages to apply the first approach obviously outweigh the
second, I've got to purchase the SE version which can cope with 32,767
variables.I have no experience in coping with such a tricky database.
Are there anybody who can give me some suggestions on it? Thanks.

--
Xiangping JIA