RE: st: Mean Test

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Mean Test
Date   Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:11:36 -0000

Electronic computers did exist in 1953. I
don't know what was the first _statistical_
use of such computers, but Tukey was associated
with computing at Princeton in the late
1940s and coined the words "bit" and "software".

Stephen Stigler wrote an article in Statistical Science
about 1991 on several uses of simulation in statistics
in the 19th century. And Student did simulation
a few years after in the first paper on t, did he not?
So simulation was not out of the question in 1953:
it was just that few statisticians had easy access to computers.

Newson, Roger B