st: Re: oglm program now available at ssc

From   Mike Lacy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: oglm program now available at ssc
Date   Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:02:24 -0700

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 04:33:06 -0600
From: Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: st: oglm program now available at ssc

I think it's worth noting here that PLUM was originally a program
written by Peter McCullagh, whose 1980 paper (Regression Models for
Ordinal Data, JRSS, B 42, 109-142) laid out much of the foundation
for ordinal regression models.
Interestingly, though McCullagh typically gets credit for the ordinal regression model, McKelvey and Zavoina originally described it five years earlier in a 1975 article in J. Math. Sociology, which McCullagh apparently did not know about. I don't recall, however, that M and Z consider the idea of different links.

I have no idea how SPSS came by this,
or whether their implementation bears any resemblance to the original.
I once asked someone in tech support at SPSS about the basis of their PLUM procedure, and s/he said that it was based closely on McCullagh's 1980 paper. As has been noted elsewhere, though, SPSS may have slipped regarding conventional naming of the complementary log-log link as described in McCullagh.

Regards,

Mike Lacy
Fort Collins CO USA
(970) 491-6721 office