Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: RE: Continuous vs discrete variables.

Subject   st: RE: Continuous vs discrete variables.
Date   Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:32:31 -0500

Maarten wrote:

 > Amadou:
 > If your discrete variable is consists of zeros and
 > ones, than you usually don't have to. If one
 > variable distinguishes between more than two
 > groups, than you can use -xi- prefix.

Dear Maarten,

Thanks for answering. Actually, I am not in a regression or summarizing context.
I have a huge dataset and would like, among other things, to know which
are dummies, which are categorical (more than two but countable modalities),
are discrete type (1,2,3,...) and which are continuous. I want to place each
group in
local macros for future use.