Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: jitter

From   David Airey <>
Subject   st: jitter
Date   Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:45:46 -0600

The jitter option in Stata graphs adds user controlled amounts of spherical noise to plotted data, useful for categorical data plots to prevent overprinting. But when only the X axis of a plot is categorical, I don't necessarily want to add scatter in my Y axis. I just want to add scatter in the X axis. It would be nice to have the jitter option take two arguments, one for X and one for Y, say,

scatter y x, jitter(0 7)

to jitter the x axis only.

I know I can manually add some amount of random noise to a new generated variable of X and plot that, but making the jitter option do the above would be more desirable for me!

* For searches and help try: