Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: Error message "type mismatch"

Subject   st: Error message "type mismatch"
Date   Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:25:14 -0500 (EST)

I transfered my data from long to wide, and thus have continuous variables
like obrum1 through obrum10. I want to add the values of each obrum*
variable together. I am trying to use the command egen

However, it keeps giving me an error message "type mismatch". I looked
into those 10 vars. The storage type of obrum1 and obrum2 is int., and
that of the rest is byte. Does this have some say on the error message?

I also tried to use recast to set the int. to byte., but it didn't seem to
be working.

I have done some research and didn't have any luck. Can anybody kindly
suggest me how to deal with this?

Many thanks,