st: RE: Log Transformation and GLM

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Log Transformation and GLM
Date   Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:53:09 +0100

Hi Chuck,

First, if you have a zero inflated dataset, and you take the log of the response variable, than you turned all 0s into missing values, and all 1s into 0s. That is probably a bad idea. Second, a log link means that you model the log rate at which events happen instead of log transforming the dependent variable. Third, it seems you have been doing some heavy duty data snooping, and some member of the statistical police won't approve of that.

HTH,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam