st: RE: random coefficient estimation: xtrc

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: random coefficient estimation: xtrc
Date   Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:17:29 +0100

Dear Viktor,

Your problem is not with the random coefficients, or other model assumptions, but with your interpretation of elasticities. They do not necessarily range between zero and one. The proper interpretation is the percentage increase in y for one percent increase in x. So it can positive or negative (in which case y decreases when x increases), and it can be smaller and larger than 1 (economists usually call elasticities between -1 and 1 inelastic and elasticities less than -1 or more than 1 elastic).

HTH,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam