st: Heckman Selection Variables

From   Tinna <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Heckman Selection Variables
Date   Fri, 6 Jan 2006 09:36:22 -0500

Dear Statalisters,

In selecting variables to use in the selection equation of a heckman
model, what do I need to look out for?

Are the restrictions as strict as in instrumental variables
estimations? Is it enough that the variables are significant in the
selection equation, but not significant when added to the main
regression of interest? I do not see people reporting any tests in
other papers I have, as they frequently do with IV-regressions.

Thank you for your time.
Tinna

PS. This question has be asked twice before on Statalist (once by me
and once by another user). It didn't get any answers either time, but
someone has to know. Sorry about the redundancy.