st: Protecting data sets

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Protecting data sets
Date   Thu, 05 Jan 2006 08:30:47 -0600

We sometimes loan our set of research stata dta files and programs we have developed to investigators to work with. We have some concern that the files could be passed on to others that shouldn't have access to them or that they might just sit on a computer and be accessible to other. It occurred to us that one way to protect files would be to have a pass word and date requirement. For example, after 6 month the dta files would not be accessible without a (changing) password (which we would have to supply). I wonder if anyone else has thought about issues such as these or if Stata Corp has some plans or ideas on the subject.

Thanks,

Fred Wolfe

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
Tel (316) 263-2125 Fax (316) 263-0761

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/