st: How does the svy prefix work?

Subject   st: How does the svy prefix work?
Date   Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:18:48 -0500

I am trying to update my gologit2 program to work with Stata 9's new -svy- features and svy: prefix. It is turning out to be more difficult than I expected. Test statistics are coming out wrong and some options (e.g.autofit) are not working right.

I'm curious, then, exactly how does svy do its magic? Does it go line through line of your program, adding an svy: prefix to every command that supports it, e.g. ologit? Or does it wait until the entire program has run, and do something with the final stored results?

There is a short chapter on adding SVY support in the 3rd edition of the Stata Maximum Likelihood book, but it appears that gologit2 will need more than what is described in that chapter. If I understood better how svy works I might be able to pinpoint the problems better.

Incidentally, gologit2 has always supported a svy option, e.g.

gologit2 y x1 x2 x3, svy

I seem to be able to get that to work fine with Stata 9 svyset files. But, the svy: prefix continues to cause me problems. In short, one way or another I think I will get my program to work with the new svy features, but getting it to work in the officially blessed way with the svy: prefix may be another matter.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]