st: Graph: labeling markers destroys weighted bubble plot

From   "Alex Gamma" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Graph: labeling markers destroys weighted bubble plot
Date   Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:33:37 +0100

Hi Statasticians,

I want a nice bubble plot, where the bubble size is scaled according to the
value of my weight-variable "msyv". ( [G] has an example of this on page
349. ) This works fine as long as I don't specify a marker-variable for
labeling my bubbles: if I do, all the bubbles have the same size and no
longer reflect the weights.

In other words, this works:

scatter fr nsy [w=msyv] if syr==1,by(year) msymbol(Oh)

whereas this labels my bubbles, but destroys the weighting of bubble size.

scatter fr nsy [w=msyv] if syr==1,by(year) msymbol(Oh) mlabel(sy)
mlabsize(tiny)

I've spent some hours studying the Graphics manual, but it seems to me, that
my solution should work. Does anybody know how I can have my cake and eat
it?

Alex