RE: st: RE: Alternative to Hausman test for FE vs RE models

From   Udaya Wagle <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: Alternative to Hausman test for FE vs RE models
Date   Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:01:05 -0500

I appreciate the replies. MP's observation on the differential
variance/covariance matrices supports my own observation too, unless I am
wrong in simply subtracting the more efficient variance/covariances from the
less efficient ones. My interest, however, is in figuring out an alternative
way of testing the two models. Even though Stata reports the differential
variance/covariance matrix to be not positive definite, it still yields chi
square statistics and p-values that are significant. Is it simply
disregarding the not positive defining part and then conducting the test and
reporting results? Can I assume this test result to be valid?

Also, if R-squareds are any guide, results indicate that a substantial part
of between effects is captured in the RE model. To me this is helpful to
discern that IDs matter in explaining the variation perhaps more so than
time. Am I correct?

Udaya