RE: st: Controls for Lowess smoothing

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Controls for Lowess smoothing
Date   Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:21:28 -0000

-mrunning- allows a smoothing wrt several predictors.

. search mrunning

SJ-5-3  gr0017  . . . . . . . . . . . . . A multivariable scatterplot smoother
        (help mrunning, running if installed) . . . . P. Royston and N. J. Cox
        Q3/05   SJ 5(3):405--412
        presents an extension to running for use in a
        multivariable context

austin nichols

> Sorry to mislead you--only one x var is allowed by -locpoly-, and
> -kernreg-, too.  In principle, there is nothing to stop you building
> your own kernel regression command that will do any kind of regression
> model at each point (i.e. putting more variables on the RHS).  But I'm
> surprised -locpoly- can't handle it--perhaps one of its authors will
> explain--maybe the C code in the plugin is not conducive to additional
> x vars?  You can write your own .ado file, but it will much much
> slower than locpoly could have been...

austin nichols

> > findit locpoly

Tinna