Re: st: Marginal Effects after ivtobit

From   "Brian P. Poi" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Marginal Effects after ivtobit
Date   Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:06:09 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Alejandro Lopez-Feldman wrote:

I want to calculate marginal effects afterivtobit using mfx but I have a
question about the standard errors.

The Stata manual ([R] page 552) states that the option "force" has to be
used otherwise mfx refuses to calculate standard errors. I have done this
and obtained standard errors.  My question is are those standard errors
correct or should I worry that they don't account for the fact that tobit
is using a predicted value?

Thanks,
Alejandro

Alejandro,

Using the "force" option with -mfx- after -ivprobit- or -ivtobit- is fine.

The warning message you get when you do not use that option arises from the fact that the endogenous variable appears on the righthand side of the structural equation and on the lefthand side of the equation that relates it to the instruments. In this case, once we've consistently estimated the parameters of the structural equation and their covariance matrix, we can go ahead and get marginal effects and their standard errors in the usual way.

-- Brian
-- [email protected]
*
* For searches and help try: