Re: st: Hardware environments for STATA manipulation of large datasets

From   Pierre Azoulay <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Hardware environments for STATA manipulation of large datasets
Date   Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:40:53 -0500

Adding more RAM will do very little for you in Windows XP 32 bit. I
have a large dataset as well (5 million obs, tons of covariates).
Because I am linux-naive, I recently bought a new PC running windows
XP 64 bit, with 4GB of RAM. The machine is dedicated to stata. I can
allocate 3.5GB to stata, which is relatively comfortable (the full
dataset is about 2GB). Obviously, things are slow, but all my programs
can run without displaying an "out of memory" message. I suspect that
if you are comfortable with Linux, that is a better option, but I
cannot speak to that.

Pierre

Pierre Azoulay
Associate Professor of Management
Columbia University                           Phone: (212) 854-9684
Graduate School of Business                Fax:   Don't send any
3022 Broadway, Uris Hall 704
New York, NY 10023                        http://www.columbia.edu/~pa2009/